The White Cross, Inc. (WCI) was established in 1936 by a devout Catholic group of women headed by Mrs. Victoria Lopez de Araneta, as a response to the plague of tuberculosis where the marginalized are most affected. It was registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a non-stock, non-profit organization on October 1, 1937. On April 19, 1938, the group entrusted its management to the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. On October 23, 1987, White Cross, Inc. renewed its incorporation with SEC since it has been in existence for more than 80 years. On April 28, 2004 (after 66 years) the management of White Cross was turned over by the Daughters of Charity to the Board of Trustees composed and managed by Lay Coordinators. It is an operating organization. Its main office is located at 276 Santolan Road, Little Baguio, San Juan City. The foundation has 32 regular staff, 24 part-time staff and 9 members of the Board of Trustees.
It was first certified for 1 year on July 11, 2018 and which will end on March 6, 2019.
Its purposes, among others, are “to be a community of Christian Healers promoting the rights and empowerment of children; to provide quality care and protection of children in preparation for their reunification with their families and placement in alternative homes, formation of parents for responsible Christian Parenthood and meaningful community building and participation; to provide comprehensive program for substitute parenting for the care and development of abandoned, neglected and surrendered children until they are unified with their parents or placed in alternative permanent homes; and to provide early childhood care and development programs for pre-school children in communities”. The Foundation’s programs focused on the following: (1) Residential Care (permanent placement/adoption, temporary shelter; and (2) Community Outreach (day care center). Geographical scope of areas: National Capital Region and other regions (on a case to case basis).