The St. Stephen’s High School, Inc. was originally founded in July 22, 1917 as St. Stephen’s Girls School by the St. Stephen’s Mission composed of the Rector Rev. Hobart Studley and the Chinese members of the Episcopal Church. It was registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a non-stock, non-profit educational institution on March 23, 1932. After liberation, government incorporation and reorganization papers were reconstructed in 1946. From Girl’s school, it was changed to a co-educational school and the name was changed to St. Stephen’s High School. St. Stephen’s High School in its ten decades of legal existence has complied strictly with government regulations under the status of a Chinese school and later a Filipino school. It was operated as a Chinese school under the Treaty of Amity signed by the Philippines and the Republic of China in 1947. Starting School Year 1976-1977, St. Stephen’s High School became a Filipino School (as per P.D. No. 176 issued on April 16, 1973 to integrate the alien schools in the Philippine Educational Systems).
At present, the school is operated under a Board of Trustees. The High School, elementary and preschool departments are headed by a principal. Aside from “imparting earthly knowledge and wisdom”, through the years “the school has been offering Christian Education and spreading the gospel to the students and teachers alike, helping them to lead the abundant life in Christ and to give glory to the Lord”. The school is located at 1267 G. Masangkay St., Sta. Cruz, Manila. The school has 163 regular staff (teaching and non-teaching), 10 part-time staff, and 15 members of the Board of Trustees.
Its purposes, among others, are “to provide quality education based on Christian principles; to be a school after God’s own heart and to be a lighthouse in the community; and to provide the learners many opportunities to develop their individual talents and to draw out their potentials to lead a more meaningful life, equipped with life skills, globally competent and future Godly parent and a productive citizen of the country.” The school offers Pre-school, Grade School, Junior High School and Senior High School. The school is awarded Level III (Highest Level) Accreditation Status as certified by the FAAP (Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines) thru the ACSCU-AAI (Association of Christian Schools College and Universities Accrediting Agency, Inc.).