Originally called the Philippine Anti-Tuberculosis Society, it was founded on July 29, 1910 by a group of Filipinos and American residents dedicated to the prevention, treatment and control of tuberculosis (TB) in the country. It was subsequently incorporated as Philippine Tuberculosis Society Inc. (PTSI) on February 29, 1960 and was registered with the SEC on March 11, 1960 as a non-stock, non-profit organization. Its main office is located at Quezon Institute Compound, E. Rodriguez Sr., Avenue, Quezon City.
PTSI has a total of 112 regular staff, 45 project-based staff, 27 part-time staff, 12 probationary staff,
and 11 Board of Trustees.
The Society operates the Quezon Institute (QI) Hospital and the Field Operations Division,
which is in charge of tuberculosis pavilions, clinics and microscopy centers around the country. It is also pursuing a research and training program for complex cases of TB as a strategy to attract funding from local and foreign sources. The funding will substantially free the Society from subsidizing its services to TB indigents in the country.
It was granted a 3-year certification for donee institution status by PCNC on August 22, 2006 and which ended on August 21, 2009. Its certification was renewed for another 3 years on May 17, 2010 and expired on April 29, 2013. Another 3-year certification was granted on January 15, 2014 that ended on December 3, 2016.