The Manila Observatory, a private, non-stock, non-profit scientific research institution established in 1865 by the Jesuit Mission in the Philippines. With Fr. Federico Faura, SJ as its first Director, Manila Observatory engaged in the systematic observation of Philippine weather. It began serving typhoon warnings in 1879 and embarked on earthquake observation in 1880. In 1884, the Spanish government issued a royal decree recognizing the Manila Observatory as the official institution for weather forecasting. During the American occupation in 1901, the Manila Observatory was designated as the Weather or the Central Office of the Meteorological Service and recognized as the Philippines Weather Bureau under the directorship of Fr. Jose Algue, SJ.
The second world war brought damage to the instruments and it ceased its operation and function as the weather bureau in the country. It was in 1951 when the Observatory resumed its post-war operations and opened in Mirador Hills Baguio City where it confined its research to seismology and study of ionosphere. In 1963, it transferred to Ateneo de Manila Campus and continues its seismic, geomagnetic, and radio physics research while expanding into solar physics.
At the turn of the 21st century, the Observatory finds itself at the nexus of global concern for environment and development. With its tradition of excellence and service in scientific research, the Observatory envisions itself as a vital partner in these critically global, yet locally relevant concerns. Through its present research programs, the Observatory now actively confronts these new challenges through a science that must inform and guide the shaping of a safe and sustainable future for humankind.