In 1922, the Cebu Women’s Club, a group of civic-minded and dynamic women established the Cebu Puericulture and Maternity House to curb the high mortality rate of mothers and children due to lack of access to reproductive health care. It started from a nipa hut with 10 maternity beds at the old Fort San Pedro and was formerly named Cebu Maternity House. The Maternity House is dedicated to the women of lower economic levels of Cebu. In 1923, the School of Midwifery was established where the graduates were taught and trained to handle normal deliveries in the clinics and in the homes.
Over the years , the Maternity House became concrete and has undergone several renovations and transferred to several addresses. Modern equipment was also introduced and acquired. In 1973, the Cebu Puericulture and Maternity House was registered with the SEC as an independent non-stock, non- profit institution.