The Lasallian Catechetical Center is an evangelization arm of De La Salle University established by the Brothers of Christian Schools in 1952 in order to partner with the local Church in the mission of evangelizing young people through catechesis. Inspired by the De La Salle Brothers in its early days, the center provided outreach catechetical instructions to the poor and disadvantaged. The center started with 29 student catechists from its high school and college departments under the direction of the late Brother Andelino Manuel Castillo FSC, an American Christian brother. Later the number of student catechists increased to a hundred. Realizing that the services of part-time student catechists did not ensure continuity of the catechetical program and instruction, Bro. Manuel saw the necessity of recruiting a group of full-time religion teachers. Thus, the idea of “professional catechists” was born.
To finance this noble program for catechists, the Brother Andelino Manuel Castillo FSC Religious Educational Foundation, Inc. (BAMCREF) also known as (a.k.a.) Lasallian Catechetical Center was born in 1983. Various charitable groups raised funds each year for its program. Today, inspired by the life and spirit of Saint John Baptist de la Salle, the Center continues to be engaged in the mission of proclaiming the gospel through the formation of catechetical leaders for the Church in the Philippines and in Asia.