In 1892, Maria Cristina, the Queen Regent, asked the Religious of the Assumption to assume the direction of the Superior Normal School for women teachers in Manila. Marie Eugenie saw the immense possibilities for good in this distant mission to the East and readily acceded to the Queen Regent’s wish. The proposed foundation fully answered the Foundress’ educational vision – to pioneer women education in the Philippines. The outbreak of the Philippine Revolution in 1898 brought the school to an end.
At the special request of Pope Pius X, a group of English-speaking Assumption Sisters returned to Manila in 1904. The Sisters reopened the boarding school for the elementary and secondary levels in Herran, Manila. In 1910, a second boarding school was opened in Iloilo at the request of Bishop Dougherty. Both schools had as emphasis, character formation of young women in line with the Assumption philosophy of education. In 1940, a college department was added to the school in Herran, Manila. In 1958, a second Assumption School was built at San Lorenzo Village, Makati.
In response to the challenge of the new millennium, Assumption San Lorenzo renews its commitment to its mission of Catholic education for social transformation. Faithful to the teachings of Mother Marie Eugenie and with the Blessed Virgin Mary as inspiration and model, it forms the young, leaning on the three (3) pillars of Assumption Education, namely: Faith and Spirituality, Academic Excellence and Social Responsibility, forming character, and Christianizing the intelligence so that the reign of God may be established and God may be all in all.